Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SOAP API call via download tool - dealing with returned encoded embedded XML data

RGesler
5 - Atom

I have a SOAP Web Service API call via the Download tool issue that I have not seen addressed.

I correctly POST to the service and expect a return of XML data which I want to handle via the XML Parse tool. My issue is that SOAP is returning the XML data in an encoded embedded fragment. As I understand it SOAP must return XML this way to prevent an error from making the SOAP envelope/body invalid.

My issue is that the Download Tool's DownloadData field does not decode this embedded data. W hen sent to the XML Parse tool it errors due to it finding "&lt;" and "&gt;" instead of "<" and ">". I have tried using a Find Replace to convert in between with no luck.

I have validated the Header, Payload string and Result with SOAPui tool. That tool automatically decodes and handles the <return> tag as a complete XML document.

Is there a way to handle this in Alteryx?

Thanks

Rich

1 REPLY 1
RGesler
5 - Atom

I finally got this working and I wanted to share what I ended up doing to handle the CDATA.

First I Concatenated the rows using the Summarize tool.  Then to extract the <return> data used Formula:  REGEX_Replace([Concat_DownloadData], ".*<return>(.*?)</return>", '$1')     Then finally I used Find Replace to convert the ascii chars to "<" and ">".

Thanks to all of the various past responses I was able to piece together what I needed.

-Rich

Labels