I am working on a shape file that contains some Arabic text. I am facing no issues when reading the .SHP file, but when i export the file as a .SHP file and read it again in Designer all the Arabic text is shown as question marks "?". I know the issue isn't reading reading the Arabic text because when i read the original file not the file exported from Alteryx i am not facing any issues.
Sorry to hear about your issue, I believe I have found a solution!
If you convert the text to UTF-8 before outputting it to an SHP file, using the formula ConvertToCodePage([_CurrentField_],65001), you can then output the data. The data will, however, still look broken:
When you then open the file, you can use the formula 'ConvertFromCodePage([_CurrentField_],65001)' to convert it back from UTF-8, and it seems to output fine:
Give this a test and let me know if it works!
I've attached the two workflows that I used for testing this, be sure to change where the file is being saved/opened from.