Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

S3 Upload error - Access Denied

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I'm having issues with uploading csv files to an S3 bucket. I initially uploaded them as .yxdb files and that worked fine, however when I try to upload them as .csv, I'm getting the message "Error: Amazon S3 Upload (2): Error from AWS: Access Denied".

In addition, this doesn't affect all the files and so some .csv files have been able to upload successfully.

Does anyone know why this is the case? The only difference is the input data.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @akasubi ,

This is probably due to the fact that the S3 connector only supports certain file types:

mceleavey_0-1629191433887.png

This would potentially explain why your .csv files were uploading correctly.

M.

Bulien

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey,

Thanks for your response. 

Actually, most of the .yxdb files were uploaded successfully but when trying to upload them as .csv files instead, many of them generated an error message and I was unable to do so.

I can upload the .csv files, just not all of them.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@akasubi , is it intermittent? As in, does it always error on a given file? 

Isolate that file and try to upload, does it sometimes error and other times it's fine?

Can you upload that file manually to S3?

M.

Bulien

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey No it's not intermittent but it is the same files that keep failing. I've tried at different times of the day but with the same result

I'm unable to upload manually to S3 as it belongs to an external partner.

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey I've just discovered that I'm getting errors for files larger than a particular size, although I'm not too sure why this is the case

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@akasubi ,

ok, so this could be a setting against your user account in S3. By default it does not replace the file if you are uploading a file with the same name as an existing file in the S3 bucket, but rather it hides the older file and creates a hidden versioning increment of that file.

Check if the files that are failing already exist in S3. If so, your user may have this versioning switched off, and this will not allow you to overwrite the file.

First of all check if it is only erroring on those files where there is already an existing file in the S3 bucket. If so, try renaming it and uploading it.

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@akasubi ,

ah, again this will be setting in your S3 account . Your S3 admin will need to change it.

M.

Bulien

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey Thanks for your suggestions!

The S3 admins had a look at the logs for the upload attempts and identified that when Alteryx was trying to upload files over 5mb, it used a different method of upload, a 'Multipart' upload.

For files under 5mb, Alteryx uses the specified server side encryption (in my case SSE-KMS) along with the KMS Key ID that I was provided with.

However, with the multipart upload (for files above 5mb), Alteryx apparently doesn't use the specified server side encryption (even though it has been selected) which could explain the access denied error messages.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a configuration on the Alteryx side for this or still within S3?

Labels