Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Running Events

paigeetowler
5 - Atom

Hi, I have a chain of workflows that I would like to run sequentially using the "Events" tab. I chose the "After Run Without Errors" option and received this: "Error: Designer x64: Error running Event #2: The external program "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 1: The system could not find the environment option that was entered. (203)". I believe this is because the flows contain warnings which creates an error when using the After Run Without Errors option. Does anyone know how I could fix this and run my workflows sequentially using Events tab even though they contain warnings? 

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

A post about this topic is here and it contains a couple useful links.  If you search the community for "AlteryxEngineCmd.exe returned an error code 1 the system could not find the environment option that was entered",  you'll get even more posts on the subject but they all sum up to what you've surmised - warnings in workflows somewhere in the chain.

In my experience, I can tell you that this error does not prevent the workflows from running; it's just an annoyance that it will show up as such.  And usually it's the first one in the chain since that's the initiator.  If I have a chain of 5,6,7 workflows that I did not build, I will generally leave it alone and let it run like that since like I said it's just an annoyance.  If I ever have free time on my hands work-wise, I'd love to go through and actually "fix" all the workflows in the chain so they don't produce warnings.

If I'm building a brand new chain of workflows, then I'm careful to test each and everyone for no warnings/errors as I go along so that I don't encounter this.  So it depends on what your tolerance is for the annoying error vs. the time investment to tighten up the workflows so there are no warnings.

paigeetowler
5 - Atom

paigeetowler
5 - Atom

Hi, thank you so much for all of the information. Although this error should not prevent the workflows from running, it appears that my workflows in the Events have not been running after this AlteryxEngineCmd error; I have email tools on all of the workflows and am only receiving an email from the original workflow that has the events stored in it. Why would these flows not be running?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

That would seem odd for sure.  As long as there are no errors (warnings are fine) on the other workflows, the email tool should send.  Can you get to the logs of the workflows on the server?  Do you know where they're located and how to find them and do you have access to them? 

Labels