Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replicating Dynamic Input with SharePoint Files Input

MattBenj
9 - Comet

My company is transitioning from shared network folders to SharePoint and OneDrive so I'm working on updating workflows with the SharePoint Files Input tool (version 2.0.1 using Client ID/Secret/Tenant ID) . One scenario I've been having trouble replicating is the combination of a Directory tool and Dynamic Input tool like the workflow below.

MichMatt_0-1651678814826.png

The specific example I'm trying to solve is the need to get the names of all the files in a SharePoint folder, filter them based on name/meta data, then open the select files. I've figured out how to replicate the Directory Tool portion (using the "Import only list of file path" option) but I haven't found a way to replicate the Dynamic Input tool. Has anyone figured out how to do a Dynamic Input style input with the SharePoint File Input Tool? 

Some things I've tried.

-  Opening all files in a folder with SharePoint Input Files then filtering based on the metadata but if there are 100 files and you only need 1 that would involve opening too many unneeded files. 

- The Input Data Tool has a wildcard search feature but I can't replicate that in SharePoint either.

- OneDrive files via the Input Data Tool works in Designer but doesn't work once I upload to the gallery

21 REPLIES 21
MattBenj
9 - Comet

@bertal34 My original post, with the directory tool, was the normal input tool functionality I was trying to replicate with SharePoint. If you go to the Accepted Solution you'll see I was able to do this with a SharePoint tool wrapped in a batch macro.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

@MattBenj 

Right, I understand the solution using the batch macro.  I just missed the part about targeting the latest file using Max Date (before going into the macro).  Now I see in the SP Input tool under Configure File you can Attach Metadata and select date fields “Created” or “Modified”.

Labels