Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Renaming Columns in Numerical Order

briankuhlmann
8 - Asteroid

I have a dataset where each week, a new column with a date header will be added. Is there a way to rename these date columns 1, 2, 3, etc?

2022-04-19 16_03_55-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow17_.png

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @briankuhlmann 

Something like this?

PhilipMannering_0-1650400414396.png

briankuhlmann
8 - Asteroid

what im asking for might now be possible, but i need to ignore the item and soldby columns. Every week a new column will be added with a week number. For instance, next week 04/24/2022 will be added. 

I need to convert the columns with date headers to 1,2,3,4, etc so i can use formulas to compare weeks.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Liiiiiike in my post?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

See above.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

...in case you missed it.

briankuhlmann
8 - Asteroid

thanks!

jbichachi003
8 - Asteroid

Hi @briankuhlmann,

Absolutely!

Instead of using the Dynamic Rename tool, I would recommend you pivot the data using a Transpose, update the field names, and the pivot the data back using a Cross Tab.

Pivoting examplePivoting example

See the attached example.

Hope it helps!

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jbichachi003 Not sure that'll work for more than one record. But you could use the MultiRow Tool or Tile Tool in place of the RecordID Tool.

jbichachi003
8 - Asteroid

@PhilipMannering,

Good point!

I updated it to account for multiple rows.

Updated pivoting exampleUpdated pivoting example

Labels