Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Remove rows with Strikethrough Data

SrikanthSampath
5 - Atom

I have an Excel file with updated versions of the new records. I want to delete the records and have only the latest versions as shown below. Example screenshots are attached below. In this example, I would want to check if the "ID" column has strikethrough data and delete the record if it does, else keep it.
I am completely new to Alteryx and would be great if someone could help me with this. Please let me know if you need more information.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 171704.png Screenshot 2024-06-03 171809.png

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you tried reading this into Alteryx? I don't think this is possible as Alteryx won't read in formatting

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
terry10
12 - Quasar

@SrikanthSampath 

Does the strikeout apply to the whole row?  If so, it would be much easier to add a column in Excel to flag whether the row has strikethrough or not, then input into Alteryx and filter by this flag.

This is how you can do that. 

Create user-defined function called "has_strikethrough". 

Capture.PNG

To create this user-defined function in Excel:

1.  Press Alt-Fn-F11 to open VBA Editor

2.  From the Insert Menu, choose "Module"

3.  Paste this text into the editor window as shown in the screenshot below.

Function has_strikethrough(r As Range)
  has_strikethrough = r.Font.Strikethrough
End Function

4. Press Alt-Q to close VBS window and return to Excel

5. Save your file as .xslm (macro-enabled excel)

UDF.PNG

If my reply helped you, please mark it as accepted. Thank you!

SrikanthSampath
5 - Atom

@terry10 
Thank you for your response.
Currently, I am doing something like this. Creating a flag and filtering based on the flag in Excel. But it's a cumbersome process as I have close to 40-50 files that run the same process and I was looking to see if I can use Alteryx to read in the file, create the flag, and filter it without the extra step in excel.

Raj
16 - Nebula

@SrikanthSampath 

have you tried the macro attached
[Knowledge Sharing] Read Excel Data without Strike... - Alteryx Community
in this post

if yes what are the challenges.

Labels