Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex query

SP3000
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am trying to do regex in comments cells by taking out all the numbers in the different columns. I am trying to get only the 5 and 6 digits number from the comments column in separate col as attached. Please help.

7 REPLIES 7
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Will there only ever be a single 5-digit and 6-digit number?  If so, use these in a formula tool:

5-digit: REGEX_Replace([Comment], ".*\b(\d{5})\b.*", "$1")

6-digit: REGEX_Replace([Comment], ".*\b(\d{6})\b.*", "$1")

Christina_Hurrell_0-1635868623333.png

SP3000
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, there are some cases with only one 5/6 digit and some with multiple 5 and 6 digits. 

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

What do you want to do where there are multiple?  You can use a RegEx tool set to tokenize to extract all of them, but you would need two separate tools and decide how to recombine the data, see attached example.

SP3000
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much for your kind assistance. I am able to use your approach to solve my issue.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SP3000 ,

in addition to @Christina_H 's approach, I've attached my approach which should be dynamic for any number of 5 or 6 digit fields and will exclude all those greater or less than that:

mceleavey_0-1635870821074.png

mceleavey_1-1635870894774.png

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

SP3000
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much @mceleavey!

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif