Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Help

ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hello Friends,

I have attached a test sheet. It contains numbers and few alphabets but at the starting of the digits, there is a symbol that I am not able to remove. It does not shows in the Alteryx Result window but it is visible with Browse tool. Please tell me how can I keep everything in the same column except the symbol?

4 REPLIES 4
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@ArijitRoy I opened the file you attached and there is a weird character that looks like a question mark inside a box that comes before the digits in records 1-9. In Alteryx it presents as "_x000C_", so I just used the Replace function to get rid of it.

Input.PNG

Replace Exp.PNG

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That ? symbol is actually an arrow symbol. You can see it in the formula of Excel here:

image.png

Because it is a symbol and not a character, it defaults to "_x000C_". Doing what @Prometheus did is the best method to remove it. It also changes your entire column into string type.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
ArijitRoy
8 - Asteroid

Hi Friends, I am getting this data from a text file. I gave you in excel that is why you are getting _x000C_ in front. I have attached a text file with same data. I need dynamic solution with RegEx formula.

dwstada
11 - Bolide

the expression [^0-9a-z/-]?([0-9a-z/-]+) should help you. If you have symbols other than / and - in your data, add those in the expression (in both [bracket] lists)

Labels