Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REGEX_Match in Dynamic Select Tool

Lifesigns
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I'm working on a large dataset extracted from an API and I am unable to specify what fields are returned.

I have tried the Dynamic Select tool to only get back the fields I know I'll need in the database.

An example field is:

knownAssociates_1_dossierID

Tough there could be up to 99 of them with the 1 changing hence my alternative approach.

My dynamic tool expression is: 

REGEX_Match([Name], 'knownAssociates\.*?\d{1,2}\.dossierID')

also tried:

REGEX_Match([Name], 'knownAssociates\d+dossierID')

also

REGEX_Match([Name], 'knownAssociates\d+dossierID')

The syntax is likely not right but I've tried various things and can't get it to work so I'd appreciate any input.

Thx

3 REPLIES 3
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Lifesigns 

If the fields are constant in that they always start with "knownAssociates" and end with "dossierID", then there are a number of ways you can go about this. If you want to use REGEX_Match, then you can modify the first formula you provided to look like this:

REGEX_Match([Name], 'knownAssociates.\d{1,2}.dossierID')

Incoming Data:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1623425122979.png

Output after Dynamic Select:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1623425147154.png

Cheers!

Phil 

Lifesigns
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you're close but the match for

knownAssociates_1_dossierID

where the 1 can be any number is:

regexmatch([name],"knownAssociates_\d+_dossierID") - the second underscore is key to the match and missing from your try \d{1,2} will only grab a number from 0 to 99.

the \d+ means a number - any number of times. So if the file is knownAssociates_10101001_dossierID - it should still match.

If that doesn't work your naming convention is off and you should use a field info to look at your fieldnames and then see where your pattern goes wrong. In the alternative if you have see more changes with field info - you can drop the data source and output of the field names you want in the field info into a batch macro with the field info as the control and select the records/fields you want that way.

Labels