Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python Tool: code disappearing?!?

Nicholas_White
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I'm not sure where to start with this one, so I'll start basic, please ask questions as needed.

I have a Workflow with a lot of Python code inside a single Python Tool, I've been working on it all morning.

I just ran it a few seconds ago, get the error 'Notebook contents cannot be empty' for the Python Tool, and I see that all my code is gone

I tried Undoing several layers back, but no luck. I'll have to revert back to the last saved version of the file.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I feel your pain, Nick. This happens to me all the time (particularly with multiple Python Tools, but not only) and it's incredibly frustrating. I always save the code somewhere in OneNote for when this happens. Hopefully somebody has some more useful advice on how to keep the code from disappearing.

Nicholas_White
8 - Asteroid

Oh wow, what a weird thing to happen. This might fall under the category of 'bug' rather than 'feature I don't understand'.

Looks like I'll need to keep running copies of code in Notepad++!

Thanks,

nick

jonwyp
6 - Meteoroid

You are not alone on this. Believe it is quite a common issue as I have run into it quite frequently as well. Try changing the mode to Production from interactive if your code is complete. Otherwise, Philip's suggestion to keep a copy of the code outside of Alteryx would be the next best option (definitely worked for me).

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Nicholas_White,

Like others have said, I feel your pain...

Please check this post out on some potential best practices when using the Python Tool:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Python-tool-loses-code/td-p/30...

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels