Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python Tool: code disappearing?!?

Nicholas_White
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I'm not sure where to start with this one, so I'll start basic, please ask questions as needed.

I have a Workflow with a lot of Python code inside a single Python Tool, I've been working on it all morning.

I just ran it a few seconds ago, get the error 'Notebook contents cannot be empty' for the Python Tool, and I see that all my code is gone

I tried Undoing several layers back, but no luck. I'll have to revert back to the last saved version of the file.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I feel your pain, Nick. This happens to me all the time (particularly with multiple Python Tools, but not only) and it's incredibly frustrating. I always save the code somewhere in OneNote for when this happens. Hopefully somebody has some more useful advice on how to keep the code from disappearing.

Nicholas_White
8 - Asteroid

Oh wow, what a weird thing to happen. This might fall under the category of 'bug' rather than 'feature I don't understand'.

Looks like I'll need to keep running copies of code in Notepad++!

Thanks,

nick

jonwyp
6 - Meteoroid

You are not alone on this. Believe it is quite a common issue as I have run into it quite frequently as well. Try changing the mode to Production from interactive if your code is complete. Otherwise, Philip's suggestion to keep a copy of the code outside of Alteryx would be the next best option (definitely worked for me).

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Nicholas_White,

Like others have said, I feel your pain...

Please check this post out on some potential best practices when using the Python Tool:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Python-tool-loses-code/td-p/30...

Labels