Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Preserve Formatting on Overwrite - List of Excel features that are preserved?

MJ
8 - Asteroid

Is there a list of Excel formatting features that are preserved somewhere?

2020.2 release-notes do not mention specifics.

I noticed that it keeps some really good things like column widths, freeze panes, auto-filter and even the auto-filter selections 🙂

But changes I made to the fill and font color are not...

Text-wrapping is also not preserved.

I haven't tested Conditional formatting yet, but read some posts that imply it is preserved.

5 REPLIES 5
MJ
8 - Asteroid

No word yet on the list of features that are preserved...  @CristonS advised I add this post from my comment on the idea (that is now implemented) but we have no way of knowing which features are preserved; so we test things hoping it works 🤞

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Output-Option-for-Excel-Overwrite-Data-but-n...

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Hey @MJ - it's a good question and I can understand why it would be useful to know.

Unfortunately, I don't know but it sounds like the type of thing that @MarqueeCrew would.  He's at Alteryx Inspire in Denver so you might have to be patient for a response.

MJ
8 - Asteroid

Bueller?

I've only really tested these and if some other users can add more in the comments we can crowdsource this :)

PRESERVED:

1. Column widths
  2. Freeze panes
  3. Auto-filter and the auto-filter selections 

NOT Preserved: 

1. Fill and Font Color
  2. Text-Wrapping

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MJ 

If you specify the sheet range font color and background color seem to work. And seems like wrap text doesn't work at all.

atcodedog05_0-1659707175662.png

Hope this helps : )

KerryW
7 - Meteor

Setting Row Height, then having the text wrap seems to corrupt the file as well

Labels