Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Performing the same workflow on multiple (identical schema) excel spreadsheets

RLUoN
5 - Atom

Hi all

First post as an Alteryx newbie 😄

I have 35 Excel spreadsheets

Each with the same schema

Different sheet name on each spreadsheet but with some common words

Data is ranked within the spreadsheet based on a particular field

Am using Alteryx to do some modelling (I change one data point up or down) and then re-rank the data

My question is - is there a way to run the workflow on all 35 spreadsheets instead of having to duplicate it 35 times?

Quick searches of the forum seems to suggest 'batch macro' is the way to go but as a total newbie I'm abit lost!

At the end of the workflow I need to join it all together to get the data into Tableau but that has to be the final step as otherwise it messes up my ranking!

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can avoid duplicating a workflow 35 times 🤣

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@RLUoN Bath macro is the best option for your use case. The below post will give you an idea of how to create a batch maro

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t...

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If the schemas are all identical, then you could also use a dynamic input tool which would make your life a bit easier. If you set the template of the Input to one of the sheets, then you can feed the tool with the fullpaths of all your files including their sheetnames (e.g. <directory>\filename.xlsx|||SheetName), then when you set the template, you can output the filename as fullpath and you can group the data back into the individual files later if you need.

OllieClarke_0-1676298277520.png

There's more info on the dynamic input tool in the example workflows, as well as here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Dynamic-Input/ta-p/249...

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Labels