Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output data tool can be used after user Table tool?

Rhaldhar
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am using table tool for getting data in tabular form and then using output data. Is this possible to get data in output data tool ?

If yes, please advise. currently I am getting error.

Thanks,

Rajeev

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hello @Rhaldhar, whenever we're working with reporting snippets like charts/tables and such, if we want to output these we need to use the Render tool, rather than a standard Output Data. Here's a very quick mock up of outputting a table:

Render output.png

There's some great interactive lessons on the reporting palette here if needed as well! https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Reporting%...

Rhaldhar
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DataNath  I use render tool with Table tool however, I am asking because my requirement is different. I have a file where already 2 tab already available with different data and now I want to get new data in tabular form in this existing file by run the Alteryx WF.

Please advise if there is any possibility.

Thanks,

Rajeev

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Rhaldhar if you're wanting to mix Rendered and standard Outputs then the approach is a little nuanced. There's a great thread on that here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Using-Render-and-output-file-t... - with a fantastic solution and example workflow provided by @DavidP, whereby you essentially create a temporary/dummy tab in the Render which the Output Data then overwrites.

If you have a file with 2 existing sheets that isn't going to be part of the process, and you just want to add a Render output to that, I'm not 100% sure about the possibility of this as the default behaviour of the tool is just to overwrite existing files.

Labels