Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need suggestion for using File Browse Tool

GouthamVijay
7 - Meteor

Hey Folks,

Current Scenario:

I have used Input Data tool for manually locating the file(.txt files) before running the process. 

Expected:

As the location of file may change every time I am planning to use File Browse Interface tool and pass that to the Input data tool.

I am confused with the configuration part, I have to make .txt file as a mandatory.

What changes should i need to make in Update Input tool and in the Input Data Tool.

If you attach any workflow it is much appreciated, I have done a small research and I didn't get any satisfactory answers....

Regards and Thank You...

6 REPLIES 6
Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @GouthamVijay,

I have attached a sample workflow. To limit input files as .txt, set the "Arbitrary File Specification" = .txt as shown below:

Adrian_T_0-1655995500163.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

@GouthamVijay will you deploy your workflow to an Alteryx Server?

I've read posts about Folder Browse / File Browse not working on the server.  Not sure if this is old information, or if Browse works the same on the server.

Chris

GouthamVijay
7 - Meteor

Hey @Adrian_T 

Thanks for the response...

The option you have chosen in the update value is "File value".......that is not been running in my case..I tried running the process from uploading one of the text file...

But i got the following error

GouthamVijay_0-1656065516426.png

Should I need to change any settings in the Update Value?

GouthamVijay_1-1656065554347.png

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @GouthamVijay,

The error is telling us that the record 73 in the txt file you uploaded has more fields than the template txt file configured in the Input Data Tool.

Will you be expecting users to upload txt files of different schemas or are they all the same?

If you are still facing issues after performing the above steps, do upload a copy of your workflow with the sample text files you are experimenting with. 

GouthamVijay
7 - Meteor

Hey @Adrian_T 

All the text files will be having same schema, but the directory may be completely different each time...

Because this process will be deployed into multiple systems, users may have the file at any location in their system...

So the current process may not be feasible for me...Do you have any other suggestions?

Please upload a sample which can run like that...so i can incorporate the same logic.....

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @GouthamVijay - Adrian's solution was good for the problem you described. I believe that you have a separated problem, which can be solved by reading txt without a delimiter and then parsing the data into columns. That's why I modified a solution. My assumption is that you have "," as a delimiter in your files.

ArtApa_0-1656217125260.png

Labels