Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Migrating Alteryx workflow- UAT to PROD

anandpandey19
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I'm trying to migrate some of my workflows from UAT to Production environment but i cannot find any useful doc to do so.

I've gone through  this thread https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Migrating-Workflows/ta-p/335774

But there are lot of macros in it and R tool is being used.

I'm using 2019.1 alteryx desinger version and could not find same version of R tool installer. I tried installing non-admin part of predictive but that did not install properly.

Is there any other way to do the migration successfully (without using R tool) or any sample workflow which i can refer to?

7 REPLIES 7
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

When you say "environment" are you referring to Alteryx Server? What is your UAT and PROD environments? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
anandpandey19
5 - Atom

Yes it means alteryx gallery names. We have 2 different gallery url each for UAT and PROD.

I want to  move my workflow from UAT to PROD gallery.

AnandKumar1
8 - Asteroid

@joshuaburkhow 

Do you have any link/guidelines on this?

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The main steps you need to follow are this from that page: 

The flow of these migration will follow the below:

1. Get list of apps ready to migrate ->
    • You will have users or an admin go through and mark the workflows you want to migrate 
    • Note: Workflows can be marked as ready for migration in one of two places.

1. In the admin portal, under the Workflows section. Within a workflow, you will see an option to mark the workflow as "This workflow is ready to be migrated".
      2. Within your private Studio under the "Workflow Settings" dialog for a specific workflow.

2. Loop through list and for each app returned ->
    • You build a workflow or write code to call this API endpoint [api/admin/v1/workflows/migratable/?subscriptionIds={comma separated subscriptionIds}/] 
    • Download individual workflow from source environment ->
      • You build a workflow or write code to call this API (using the list you created in step 2) [api/admin/v1/{appID}/package/]
    • Publish workflow in target environment ->
      • You 'post' them one by one to this api endpoint (of your new environment) [api/admin/v1/workflows/]
    • Reset "ready to migrate" flag on workflow in source environment
      • You turn 'ready to migrate' off by this api endpoint [api/admin/v1/workflows/migratable/{appID}/]

Does this help? You don't necessarily need R tools or anything. But you will have to build out the process to make this work. These are just the steps. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
francis_oy
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the introduction. I am wondering how we handle the DB connection switch. Shall we create the same connection both in different environments? My understanding is even the connection name and string are the same, the GUIDs of connections are different in the workflow XMLs.

Thanks

Francis

joeGade
10 - Fireball

The last part you described about the data sources or connection sting changes as part of migration is the worst part of Alteryx server . not sure why Alteryx designed such an crappy server architecture. 

I have seen several bi etl analytics tools over the years nothing like Alteryx server which is a **bleep** when it comes to maintenance and migrations .

especially like the migration from uat to prod is a nightmare. 

we have reached out to Alteryx several times over the years but they never care for their customers or take feedback seriously. 

joeGade
10 - Fireball

We requested Alteryx team to create “server variables” or “parameter” store  which will help in migration between environments but they never listed to us .

Labels