Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

'Merge' the common parts of Spatial Objects

PVousden121
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have the spatial objects for an area near the coast and the coastline near the shape.  I wanted to 'combine' the 2 to produce an area that follows the coastline for the appropriate section as shown in the output image attached.  I have attached the files needed with the raw data and also a workflow showing not only how not to do it but also how it is possible with manual intervention but this is not the ideal solution.

Can the workflow be rewritten so that the amount of coastline is automatically trimmed to fit the other shape?

I am not too precious how this is done - formula or tools - but it would be interesting to prove that it could be.

Many thanks for any solutions, help or pointer.

Kind regards,
Peter  

4 REPLIES 4
RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @PVousden121 

Please see the below.

I hope you find it helpful - Cheers!

RobertOdera_0-1680717364311.png

PVousden121
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

That's an amazing approach so thanks for taking the time to look into it for me.

The only issue with the proposed solution is that you have 'selected' and hard coded in some points which I need the process to identify on its own - your point 1 and 8.  Is it possible to make it truly dynamic so if I change the area's point order the solution just "adjusts"?

Many thanks again,

Peter

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @PVousden121,

This should suit your purpose I think.

You could stick this in a macro and have it apply to each set of inputs you send in.

I've just intersected the coast line with your area points, made them unique based on long lats. Then found the nearest individual coastline point to get Point ID for min/max values. Then you just append on to the original set of points and say point Id >= to min, <= to max.

This should work fine if your area points always intersect with the coast line, if not you might have to do a bit more with it but the broad method should still work.

Ben_H_0-1680771754529.png

Ben_H_1-1680771771827.png

Regards,

Ben

Ben

PVousden121
8 - Asteroid

Ben, 

Files per my DM.

Kind regards,

Peter

Labels