Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching Spend Data to Taxonomy Parent Categories Using Child Categories

TeamTJ
8 - Asteroid

I have a spend file that includes a category of spend at 1 of 4 possible levels (L1-L4) for every single record.

I have the taxonomy file that lists all the possible combinations of L1-L4. Column A is L1, Column B is L2, etc...

What I would like to do is specify the L2 from the Taxonomy file and see every record from the spend side that rolls up to that L2.

For example, if my taxonomy looks like this:

• Toys (L2)
    • Lego (L3)
    • Transformers (L3)
      • Generation 1 (L4)
      • Generation 2 (L4)
    • Dolls (L3)
      • Barbie (L4)
      • American Girl (L4)
  • Something else (L2)
  • Another Something else (L2)

and I want everything from the spend that is in any category below (and including) Toys (L2), how can I do that without creating a filter and explicitly including the 8 possibilities?  I'd like to make this repeatable where I can just say "show me Toys (L2) and it works.

Appreciate any pointers! Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just to try and understand the question are you looking for a hierarchy structure similar to something like this Solved: Displaying Hierarchy of Managers - Alteryx Community ? Could you show an example output table you would want?

Thanks,

Ira

TeamTJ
8 - Asteroid

I'll take a look at the example you suggested.

My output would be anything that rolls up to that specified L2.

In the attached spreadsheet, I would want to see all the records that have a yellow category.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @TeamTJ,

From looking at your output I think this captures your logic (workflow linked below):

IraWatt_0-1651586751363.png

If you have any questions on how it works make sure to ask :)

HTH,

Ira

TeamTJ
8 - Asteroid

Once I realized I needed to change the filter to my specific L2, it seems to be working perfectly.

And it makes sense, too!

Appreciate the help, this will make the rest of my day much easier!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great to hear @TeamTJ, glad it helped ! 

Labels