Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Malformed IF statement

mupad2008
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Am trying to update Field1 (string) based on multiple if and/or criteria on Field1 to Field5 (some string, some numeric), getting a "malformed if statement" error.

Tried looking up suggestions on previous help topics, still not able to get it resolved.

I have ensured that data type of the fields are correct, f1, f5 are strings, f2, f3, f5 are double

Below is the syntax am using;

IF                            [FIELD1] == ‘ABC’ AND [FIELD5] IN ("X”,”Y”,”Z")                 THEN  "ALPHA"

ELSE IF                  [FIELD1] == "ABC" AND [FIELD2] IN (0,1)                           THEN  "BETA"

ELSE IF                  [FIELD1] == "DEF" AND [FIELD3] = 0 AND [FIELD4] = 0    THEN  "CHARLIE" 

ELSE IF                  [FIELD1] == "DEF" AND [FIELD3] != 0 OR [FIELD4] != 0     THEN = "DELTA"

ELSE                      [FIELD1]

ENDIF

Note* Am updating the same field that am comparing in first if condition i.e. if f1  == "abc" and f2 in ("x","y","z") the f1 = "alpha".

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @mupad2008

I was able to modify your formula a bit and get the desired output.

IF                       [FIELD1] = "ABC" AND [FIELD5] IN ("X","Y","Z")                 THEN  "ALPHA"

ELSEIF                  [FIELD1] = "ABC" AND [FIELD2] in(0,1)                           THEN  "BETA"

ELSEIF                  [FIELD1] = "DEF" AND [FIELD3] = 0 AND [FIELD4] = 0    THEN  "CHARLIE" 

ELSEIF                  [FIELD1] = "DEF" AND ([FIELD3] != 0 OR [FIELD4] != 0)     THEN  "DELTA"

ELSE                      [FIELD1]

ENDIF

The main thing is that, in Alteryx, the ELSEIF will go together with no space. I also changed a couple of the quotes and added parenthesis to the final statement as well to get it to work.

Hope this helps!

mupad2008
6 - Meteoroid

Bingo! 

It indeed was 'ELSE IF' I used as against 'ELSEIF' that is needed.

Thanks BarnesK!!!

RossLewis76
5 - Atom

Perfect! The Else If/ElseIf was my downfall as well.

Labels