Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro - Missing Question Anchor and Different Properties for Cut and Paste

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

My batch macro is missing its question control table input anchor.

I have a macro that works.  See first two images.  The ? anchor is present and I can connect the control table to the batch macro.

The first two images below depict the working macro in a workflow and the macro itself.  Not that the macro itself has macros within it. 
The important thing is that it works and the ? anchor is present.  While it works, there are additional changes I need to make so the output data is accurate.

Image #2 depicting the inside also shows the section of the workflow I want to turn into another internal macro (the section with the 3 control parameters).

Image #3 and #4 are is my problem / question.

Images #3 is a copy paste of the Image #2 workflow into a new worksheet.   I even tripled checked the input data fields and the action tool configurations (all the same).

Image #4 is the copy paste macro applied to a new worksheet.  It should have the ? anchor as in Image #1.

Why are the Macro Properties in Image #3 different from Image #2?

Why is the question marking missing in Image 4 but not Image 1?

Screenshot 2024-03-25 112412.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 112839.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 112737.png
Screenshot 2024-03-25 112949.png

8 REPLIES 8
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I am still curious as to why the ? is missing and the options for the properties are different.

However, a quick cup of coffee helped me discover the flaw in my macro (from a data duplication effort).

The two supporting macros internal to the macro were replicating data for each value in the control table running through the main macro.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @hellyars 

You certainly have the most interesting issues!

This is not something that I've ever seen, but you can try the following

• Add a dummy control parameter to the workflow and save it.  When you go back to main workflow, there should be a prompt saying that the macro was updated.  If that worked, you can remove the dummy, save and check again 
  • Try the copy-paste operation again to a new macro
  • Copy the original macro file and make your changes to the copy

Let us know the results

Dan

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

I definitely seem to be attracting the odd ones lately. 
I just had the ? disappear on another macro.   No explanation.  The interface properties drop. 
But, it does not appear to be the macro itself.  Per your advice, a copy paste to a new sheet worked (nothing changed except the file). 

Images below.  Green = configuration under Properties when ? goes missing.  Blue = copy paste of same worksheet into new file -- it works.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 183913.pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 183921.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

This is now a regular issue.   So far, it seems to occur when a macro contains other macros.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

This is now getting in the way of getting work down.
I keep having to copy and paste to clean sheets just to get macros to work.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? 

I just ran into this problem 3 times in a row making a simple batch macro.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 145118.pngScreenshot 2024-04-03 145108.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

This is insane six times now

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

6 times now.  Here is a sample of a fresh cut and paste (without input file or control parameter or macro output until after copy and paste)

The labor data is public. 

Labels