Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro - Missing Question Anchor and Different Properties for Cut and Paste

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

My batch macro is missing its question control table input anchor.

I have a macro that works.  See first two images.  The ? anchor is present and I can connect the control table to the batch macro.

The first two images below depict the working macro in a workflow and the macro itself.  Not that the macro itself has macros within it. 
The important thing is that it works and the ? anchor is present.  While it works, there are additional changes I need to make so the output data is accurate.

Image #2 depicting the inside also shows the section of the workflow I want to turn into another internal macro (the section with the 3 control parameters).

Image #3 and #4 are is my problem / question.

Images #3 is a copy paste of the Image #2 workflow into a new worksheet.   I even tripled checked the input data fields and the action tool configurations (all the same).

Image #4 is the copy paste macro applied to a new worksheet.  It should have the ? anchor as in Image #1.

Why are the Macro Properties in Image #3 different from Image #2?

Why is the question marking missing in Image 4 but not Image 1?

Screenshot 2024-03-25 112412.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 112839.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 112737.png
Screenshot 2024-03-25 112949.png

8 REPLIES 8
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I am still curious as to why the ? is missing and the options for the properties are different.

However, a quick cup of coffee helped me discover the flaw in my macro (from a data duplication effort).

The two supporting macros internal to the macro were replicating data for each value in the control table running through the main macro.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @hellyars 

You certainly have the most interesting issues!

This is not something that I've ever seen, but you can try the following

• Add a dummy control parameter to the workflow and save it.  When you go back to main workflow, there should be a prompt saying that the macro was updated.  If that worked, you can remove the dummy, save and check again 
  • Try the copy-paste operation again to a new macro
  • Copy the original macro file and make your changes to the copy

Let us know the results

Dan

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

I definitely seem to be attracting the odd ones lately. 
I just had the ? disappear on another macro.   No explanation.  The interface properties drop. 
But, it does not appear to be the macro itself.  Per your advice, a copy paste to a new sheet worked (nothing changed except the file). 

Images below.  Green = configuration under Properties when ? goes missing.  Blue = copy paste of same worksheet into new file -- it works.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 183913.pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 183921.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

This is now a regular issue.   So far, it seems to occur when a macro contains other macros.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

This is now getting in the way of getting work down.
I keep having to copy and paste to clean sheets just to get macros to work.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? 

I just ran into this problem 3 times in a row making a simple batch macro.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 145118.pngScreenshot 2024-04-03 145108.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

This is insane six times now

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@danilang 

6 times now.  Here is a sample of a fresh cut and paste (without input file or control parameter or macro output until after copy and paste)

The labor data is public. 

Labels