Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Lost Ability to Open Multiple Copies of Same Workflow

natej
7 - Meteor

Prior to updating to Designer 2019.4 I frequently made use of the ability to have multiple copies of the same workflow open in the same Alteryx session in different tabs. After updating this no longer seems to be an option.

For example, if I had a saved workflow 'Workflow1.yxmd', I would open the workflow and begin to make some changes. Then, (before saving) I would open another copy, either by reopening the workflow from File Explorer or by selecting the workflow via File > Open Recent. This way I could have open both the original (saved) version as well as my modified (unsaved) version without prematurely cluttering a drive with various saved copies.

Now, when re-opening a workflow the Designer window pops up with the same copy of the workflow I already had open. In other words, I can no longer have two tabs open using the same workflow file/name.

Does anyone know any way around this? Of course I could save the workflow with a new name, or open a whole new session of Alteryx, but both these options are quite inconvenient. Also, if I right click on the workflow name on the tab there is a 'Duplicate' option, but this duplicates the workflow in its current state (modified), rather than the original, saved state.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or an intentional change in behavior, but it has proven rather annoying for my team and me.

Thanks,

Nate

21 REPLIES 21
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

In version 2019.4, it's a new feature

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alter-Nation-Blog/We-Hear-You-2019-4/ba-p/500594

Original Idea:

Disable the ability to open the same workflow more than once
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/*/*/m-p/425887

You could right-click on the BAK version of your original workflow, then choose Open With, browse to the Alteryx\bin install folder, and choose the program AlteryxGui.exe

natej
7 - Meteor

Well I guess that explains it.

Taking away flexibility because some people are unorganized seems like a bad design decision IMO.

Alteryx seems to ignore suggestions for a lot of important features, but quickly implements bad ideas like this.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

If two people can open the same workflow at the same time

the first person makes changes and saves, then

the second person makes changes and saves.....

the changes from the first person would be lost.  And no one would know.  No warning or error message.

For this example, I think the enhancement makes sense.

Another option would be for Alteryx to display a warning before the second person is allowed to save, to notify that the workflow was updated by someone else after it was opened.  Or allow the workflow to be opened a second time, but set it to read-only.

natej
7 - Meteor

@ChrisTX I agree that it would be helpful to have some kind of handling for when multiple users simultaneously have the same workflow open. I think that is a separate issue from what I am describing and is unaffected by this change.

After updating multiple users can still have the same workflow open. The functionality I am describing is my ability to have the same workflow open on my own machine.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Can you modify your workflow process flow* to "create duplicate" before you start making changes, and then use this duplicate for the comparison?

natej
7 - Meteor

@Claje obviously this isn't an end of the world kind of change--i'm sure i'll adapt. I don't see preemptively opening a copy of every single workflow I work on in case I might want to refer to it later as a particularly elegant solution though.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

I understand where you're coming from.

Basically any suggestion I have is going to tweak your current process slightly since the exact process is no longer supported, but one other thought is:

Once you've started editing and making changes, and reached a point where you want to compare, you could "Duplicate" that workflow (complete with changes), and then close the "Original" without saving, and reopen it.  This is basically the same workflow as hitting "Save As", but it may or may not be easier?  This avoids creating a permanent copy of the workflow until you want to save, although you do then need to "Save As" your Copy once you are happy with the changes.

natej
7 - Meteor

@Claje appreciate the suggestions. That isn't ideal since it adds some extra steps, but you're right that any solution will.

I was hoping this was a bug that could be fixed, but seeing that it was an intentional change I'll adjust. I hope i'm in the minority in being inconvenienced by this and that others are benefiting from the change.

Nate

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

What if you could hold Shift when opening a file and it would allow you to open multiple of the same file?

Labels