Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Looking to format input file that is a result of a PDF transfer to Excel

jjoerger
7 - Meteor

Looking for a way to format an excel file that is a result of a PDF transfer to Excel.    Currently the input file has data split into multiple rows when it should be one row.  The commonality between the rows is that each Row should start with a four digit number.  I've outlined in the screenshot what should be one row.  The top portion is the current file, the bottom portion is how the output should look once formatted correctly.  I've uploaded the input file that is a result of the PDF to Excel Conversion.  The second tab of the upload shows what the desired final layout/output should be.  I am looking for a way to combine rows when needed so that each line of data starts with the 4 digit number.

jjoerger_0-1652363628918.png

I was going to require the user to transfer the file from a pdf to excel and then the interface would be requesting the excel input.  Is it possible to have Alteryx transfer the PDF to Excel and then proceed with a solution I'm seeking above?

Any wisdom, assistance would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jjoerger,

Think this is the workflow your looking for:

IraWatt_0-1652364733807.png

If you have any questions on how it works make sure to ask :)

HTH,

Ira

jjoerger
7 - Meteor

You rock!  Thank you so very much!

jjoerger
7 - Meteor

Does anyone know if Alteryx Designer can do this:  Through an input tool - take a PDF file and convert to excel so my user could avoid that step before running the solution mentioned above?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @jjoerger, two ways I know of doing that is one follow this: Can Alteryx Parse A Word Doc Or PDF? - Alteryx Community 

Two you could try my tool:

IraWatt_0-1652367403332.png

You will need to run Alteryx in admin mode first time you use it:

IraWatt_2-1652367525040.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just uploaded my tool to the gallery PDF Reader Tool - Alteryx Community

jjoerger
7 - Meteor

I was able to input the PDF, but how do you get to to parse into an excel like document? or maybe that can't be done.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jjoerger once you've parsed it in you'll have to use Alteryx tools to format it as there isn't a one size fits all solution to parsing data from PDF

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Nice solve, @IraWatt 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thankyou Mr @Shifty  

Labels