Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Box Interface is Dynamic - Custom Filter isn't and needs editing if data changes

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

Hi all, 

I am building an App in Designer where the List Box Interface I am using is created dynamically from the data. i.e. if a field contains A,B,C the list interface will show A, B, C as the options to select. If it has A,B,C,D it will show all four. e.g. A Field is summarised, Crosstabbed and then used as the Fields from Connected tool on my List box. 

My Filter tool is then set up to use the below whereby the values within the brackets are replaced by what is selected in the List Interface and data is filtered to what the user selects. 

[Field] in ("A","B","C")

Problem I have is that - The data can change, and whilst my user interface is dynamic based on what is in the data source, my Custom Filter is hardcoded as an In Statement to use in conjunction with the "update specific string" in the action tool.

Can i dynamically take the list from the source data and pass that into the Filter Expression / Action Tool? I tried using a batch macro with a control parameter but could not combine the App Interface with the Batch Macro to get it to work. Can try and post a sample workflow if the above explanation doesn't suffice. 

Any help appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @CiaranA 

You would need to use chained apps.

1. First App: Creates staging data and options list.

2. Second App: Reading in the options list in the List Box.

This way options will be dynamic. I have attached an example.

Resource on chained app:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Chained-Applications/td-p/186301

Hope this helps : )

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

I'm already using a chained app to create the dataset. 

Realised I solved my own issue. As long as the Replace a specific string text is the same as what's in the Filter it should always react to whatever's in the data. 

Replace a specific string - "1234567","2345678","3456789","4567891"

Custom Filter - [Field1] in ("1234567","2345678","3456789","4567891")

Labels