Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

K-1 PDFs reader

Taxautomation
5 - Atom

Hi, I am an Alteryx noob. Does anyone work in Tax and know if Alteryx can read K-1s in PDF and report the line item with it's respective character? For example, see line 6a ordinary dividends and 9a long term capital gain and bring each amount.

I know this is a long shot if I wanted to get the information from the footnotes, but since the face of the K-1 is the same, I thought there could be a good opportunity for automation?

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are we talking taxpackagesupport generated k1s or scanned in that someone receives? I'm curious about the taxpackagesupports ones now so if I get a chance I'll write something up. (ie native pdfs or scanned pdfs)

Taxautomation
5 - Atom

Hey, these are individual K-1s not in a package. Some do come with the state K-1s attached as well but for the most part they are individual files from different partnerships we are invested in. Please let me know if you think of something.

Apologies for the late reply.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

All good - taxpackagesupport is the primary provider of k1s for mlps. I tried to read in one via Python and wasn't thrilled with the results (ie it would require more parsing/transformation than I wanted to do) - perhaps check out some of Alteryx's internal intelligent suite pdf tools. 

Labels