Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative macro for nested hierachy

gerbaudo
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to implement an iterative macro to build a nested hierarchy from a list of entries.

For example, starting from an input

ChildParent
AB
BC
CD
EB
FZ
ZH

I would like to add columns containing the hierarchy for each element, and its oldest ancestor:

ChildParentPathAncestor
AB/D/C/B/AD
BC/D/C/BD
CD/D/CD
EB/D/C/B/ED
FZ/H/Z/FH
ZH/H/ZH

I have tried to follow the example in the "Creating a HR hierarchy" post,

but I cannot get the output I'd like.

In particular, I have defined an iterative macro with the output for the next iteration ('N')

and connected it to the input for the next iteration ('S'), but I see that after two iterations

I have multiple outputs (some duplicated), and the "Path" is two-level deep at most.

The two files (macro and workflow) are attached here.

I implemented a recursive function in python that behaves as expected,

but I cannot wrap my head around the Alteryx implementation with an

iterative macro--I must be missing something basic, sorry about this.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong, please?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @gerbaudo,

I think I understand where you are going with this.  I had to restructure this a bit; take a look at the attached workflow.  What I did is think of your 'Child' field as people.  Each of these people has a parent.  The attached workflow will iterate through all the child/parent relationships to establish a genealogy line.

Pay close attention to macro itself.  You'll need to modify some settings in the macro using the View --> Interface Designer screen (click on the wrench on the left side of the window).  Specifically, you need to select your iteration input and iteration output fields. 

gerbaudo
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much @WayneW !

It works like a charm.

Best,

Davide

rakhibubbly86
5 - Atom

Is there any way to put filter where I can specify like I want all childrens of Parent ID 4 so i can get 1,2,3

rcruz03
5 - Atom

Hello,

I tried the sample and getting the results below. 

ChildParentAncestorPath
CDDD:C
ZHHH:Z
BCCC:B
FZZZ:F
ABBB:A
EBBB:E
BCCC:B
FZZZ:F

Why am I not showing the expected the results below. 

ChildParentPath
ABC:B:A
EBC:B:E
BCD:C:B
FZH:Z:F
Labels