Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Is there a way to subtotal (count)/group by a string value instead of a number value

jjenny50
7 - Meteor

I have a set of data, and I want to group by "Product" and subtotal each grouping. However, the product is a string not a number value. 

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

With the Summarize tool, have you tried Group By Product, and Count Product?

Chris

surajmthomas
8 - Asteroid

It would be great if you could share sample data. You can use the summarize tool to Group By Product and take the count. Once you group by a String Data Type you can take the count of the Grouped Values. If there is another numeric value associated to the Product, then you can invoke the sum in the summarize tool.

surajmthomas_0-1635964921082.png

jjenny50
7 - Meteor

Yes, that does give me a count, but I looking for a subtotal view with the count below the grouping (like a pivot table)

jjenny50
7 - Meteor

thanks, yes that does give me the count. However, I am looking for more of a subtotal line below the grouping (like a pivot table)

surajmthomas
8 - Asteroid

surajmthomas_0-1635966586637.png

Is it something of this sort you are looking for. I have enforced a numeric value using the formula tool and did a crosstab and transpose to get the total under every grouping

jjenny50
7 - Meteor

Thank you. I am going to try this and see if get the desired results and report back. 

Labels