Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Is it possible to rotate text in my output? Trying to create a pivot table

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to create an output that looks like this pivot table:

alteryxisconfusing_0-1665991467846.png

alteryxisconfusing_0-1665991804073.png

I know the table and render tool can help with the border and format, but is it possible to get the titles to show at 45 degrees like in the image above? 

Attached is the raw input data I'm using.

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@alteryxisconfusing |
I think maybe we can use the Preserving Format option in the output tool.
But I dont it is possible to have the same format as your desired output. 🤔

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

Ah bummer, I only have the raw data (not formatted) so the preserving wouldn't help here. Just made that in Excel as an example of my desired output.

- My thought on the rotation was to save space and help with readability. I know you can truncate the text, but would prefer showing everything. 

- Also, I was able to get the data to output grouped by student name, but it places their names on each row instead of in the columns like my desired output picture. Help on this would be most appreciated :)

bkurt
8 - Asteroid

You can use the cross ab function to make the students into columns.

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

Hm so I tried the cross tab tool and it works for 1 to 1...like I can do "Student Name" vs "Class Cost", but I'm struggling linking the other elements into the table to match this layout:

alteryxisconfusing_0-1665993785177.png

I think I'm getting confused on how to link Student Name + Class Cost + Expense in relation to the Class (like shown above).....but I can partially do it with the crosstab.

bkurt
8 - Asteroid

Check out the worklflow in the attachment. It should solve this for you.

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

Ahhh it was the summarization tool setup!

Thank you so much for the help on this! Just need to figure out how to force the column width adjustments in the output now. I know you can set a fixed number or percentage in the table tool, but Excel doesn't seem to adjust for this?

-  also, I had to change the page size in the render tool to accommodate for a large table I'm adding into the flow. it was cutting off text in the columns, so I extended the page size (custom size 36x20) and it resolved the issue of the text being cut off. However, it extended all the column widths so they are stretched too far now.

Looks something like this:

alteryxisconfusing_0-1665998299412.png

It seems the column widths I set in the table tool are being ignored and the custom page size is causing them to stretch.

bkurt
8 - Asteroid

I don't understand why you have to force a change in the width. On my screen the default table seems to give every name enough space.

alteryxisconfusing
8 - Asteroid

The data I used here is just simplified data, when I add in my real data the column titles (going from A1 to BA1) have a character length around 18 characters. My rows titles (going down column A2 to A352) have character length around 70 characters. 

When I use a default rendering page size like "tabloid 11 x 17" I get the following error when running the flow "The current page layout has caused some data to be incorrectly truncated and the Excel file to be corrupted. We recommend modifying how the data is laid out."

When I open the output, I can see the table, but the text is cut off in some areas in both the column headers and the row details. 

Then if I switch to a custom page size like 36x20 I don't get any error and all the text shows. Problem is this stretches the columns to a size that is much longer than they need to be.

Labels