Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Text Data

Bill9
5 - Atom

Hello,

I attached the sample file that we want to input that to Alteryx and start to use some of the awesome tools for analysing. Is these a way to do it in Alteryx with this format which is directly downloaded from SAP R3? We have thousands of files as the sample. but we cannot input to Alteryx in the first step.

By the way, when we open the sample text file with Excel with Unicode text and save it as itself. then we can do them in Alteryx with the Saved Unicode text format files. It waste energy and time if someone have a good solution to input them in Alteryx.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

A text file can be brought into Alteryx with no delimiter and first row does not contain field names. That way there is no need to convert them in Excel first. 

text file.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you use a wildcard, you can bring as many of these text files in as you want from a directory using the settings that have been specified. 

wildcard.png

Bill9
5 - Atom

Hi, Brandon,
Thanks a lot! What I want the final report as the new attached "Notification Report.xlsx", according to your introduction, I cannot input the original text file as the attached 4 sample text files. Another issue is I cannot know why the sample7 and sample8 data not be input in Alteryx. Could you help me again?

1. The attached sample text files have been opened and saved with Excel after I downloaded from SAP.
2. I tried to deal with all 4 sample text files, just sample 6 and sample9 can be found in Alteryx, sample 7 and sample8 are not input in Alteryx.

My target is we can deal with all original text files which are downloaded from SAP (in my previous question sample3 text file), and output the final excel file as "Notification Report.xlsx"

Have a nice day!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is because your files have different schemas when you use the tab delimiter if you try to do that within your Input Data tool. Try reading them in undelimited with these settings:

No delimiter - This looks like \0 in your setting 5

Uncheck the "First Row Contains Field Names" box

Then use a Text to Columns tool afterwards to parse with \t if you want to split on the tab delimiter afterwards

settings.png

parse.png

Labels