Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Importing large amount of xlsx/csv

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have about 40 xlsx csv and I need to learn a way to import them directly into Alteryx without having to change everytime for the setup of each of them.

The problem is that the xlsx/csv start on different lines. There is always a serie of columns where the document information starts, but don't know how to tell Alteryx to learn that. Example:

Document 1:

1   abc

2   blank

3   blank

4   information starts (columns called "Name", "Surname","Last name")

Document 2

1   abc

2   information starts (columns called "Name", "Surname","Last name")

Condition in this case would be. IF first three columns start with  "Name", "Surname","Last name", start importing on line 4 for document 1 and on line 2 for document 2. At some documents, information can be at line 3759 for example. Does not necessarily have to be in first lines.

I was wondering if anyone can give me a help on that. Inserted a couple of xlsx just in case you want to make an example on how you would do it.

Best regards,

Cesc

3 REPLIES 3
StellaBon
11 - Bolide

I would use the Data Cleansing tool first to remove null rows and then Data Stream In. Otherwise you could do the cleaning step in excel before bringing into alteryx.

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hi @StellaBon, for this challenge, I am not allowed to modify excel I input it in Alteryx. From my understanding on what you say, I should import all of the xlsx and then with the data cleansing tool, remove the lines you don't need until the input. Questions: How can I make the data cleansing tool to remove non wanted lines? Also, I am recieving hte message that too many fields in record 1 on the csv ones... how would you approach it?

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

I cannot open your sample files from my work computer, for security reasons, but from what you've said, the data cleanse tool would work fine. In the tool configuration, check off the box that says remove null rows at the very top. I am not sure about that error message though. 

StellaBon

Labels