Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

If field is blank error

CRogers22
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

So I'm working on a formula where the dates where Null and I cleansed it to blanks but need a specific output if the days are empty. I currently have below but it is malformed. Any suggestions?

IF ToNumber([Days Between])<=30 Then 'Pass'
Elseif ([Days Between])>30 Then 'Reseach'
Elseif IsEmpty([Days Between]) Then 'N/A'
Else 'Research' ENDIF

I Used this to get my 'Days Between' If that's needed.

DateTimeDiff([Appraisal_Sent_To_Applicant_Date],[Appraisal_Received_Date],'Days')

Thanks in advance for your time.

8 REPLIES 8
Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

In the first part of your statement you use ToNumber on Days Between, but you dont do this for the second part. I believe this will be your issue.

Either use the ToNumber function again, or put speech marks around the 30 and treat it as text  😊

Also in the formula where you have created the Days between, you will be able to select if you want the output to be treated as a string or an int etc. So perhaps setting it to int there will be your better option, and drop the ToNumber function all together

Happy Alteryxing

CRogers22
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you that corrected the formula but its still showing blanks as Pass. how do I handle Empty cells?

Deano478
12 - Quasar

Howdy @CRogers22 feel free to give this a go and let me know what happens: 

IF ToNumber([Days Between]) <= 30 THEN 'Pass'
ELSEIF ToNumber([Days Between]) > 30 THEN 'Research'
ELSEIF IsEmpty([Days Between]) THEN 'N/A'
ELSE 'Research' ENDIF

CRogers22
6 - Meteoroid
Days BetweenAutomated Results
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass
 Pass

Still returning Pass for blank cells

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I would try swapping the IsEmpty for IsNull, but I would also question why the DateTimeDiff function was returning nothing, are you able to share an example of the data?

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

IF
Isempty([DaysBetween])
THEN
'N/A'
ELSEIF
ToNumber([DaysBetween]) <= 30
THEN
'Pass'
ELSE
'Research'
ENDIF

Changing the order has fixed it on my end, I guess empty is less than 30, but if we check for that first it will mark it as N/A
This was also removes the need for the >30 check as it has the same output as the else

CRogers22
6 - Meteoroid
Appraisal_Received_DateAppraisal_Sent_To_Applicant_DateDays BetweenAutomated Results
2024-05-01  Pass
2024-05-31  Pass
 2024-06-03 Pass
2024-05-21  Pass
2024-05-31  Pass
2024-05-31  Pass
2024-04-16  Pass
2024-05-24  Pass
2024-05-24  Pass

Its returning nothing because it was Null for the missing date, with the cleanse it made those Cells blank.

CRogers22
6 - Meteoroid

This fixed it! thank you!

Labels