Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

If expression locked to 64 characters?

Saarek
7 - Meteor

I have a relatively simple formula, but there is almost certainly a better way to achieve my end result.

The formula, pasted below, works as expected apart from the fact that the output only exports to a maximum of 64 characters.

Around 20% of my results will be higher than 64 characters and so I find the output frequently cuts off the data. As the fields are set to VWString the character limit should be in the thousands and so I am confused as to why this formula will only output a maximum of 64 characters, any ideas?

if [Referral Reason Count] = "1" then [Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "2" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "3" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "4" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#4_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "5" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#4_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#5_Referral Reason] else "" endif

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Saarek,

Please check the data type definition for this new field and make sure that it is also a VWString with a length greater than 64 bytes.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Saarek
7 - Meteor

Hi Mark,

Each of the inputs are set as VW String, none of them individually current exceed 64 characters.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

yes, but could you take a screenshot of the configuration tool for the formula that you're writing.  This is potentially a new field [All the reasons] where you define that field as 64 bytes long.

Saarek
7 - Meteor

So simple, you were right it had limitted the new field to 64. I assume dAlteryx would automatically set the limit to the maximum, still quite new to the application.

Thank you for your help.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Saarek,

I am sending you an alternative way of computing the reason field.  Please note that the field has a huge potential width.

Cheers,

Mark

Saarek
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the upload, I'll study it and learn from it.

Labels