Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to work with a csv file without hearders? (Gallery)

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I use Text Box/Action/Input Data tools (for use in Gallery) to input a csv file that does not have headers in any row. The position of the data changed each time the file is received. The data I need start from the row that has "All" in first column. So, I first added a Select tool and renamed the first column to A with data type - string. Then, added a filter: [A]="All". I am able to run this workflow to success and obtain the output file with expected results in Alteryx Designer. However, when I tested it in Gallery, I got an error for the Filter tool, indicating Unknow variable "A". Should a different tool than Select/rename column be used, and how?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @gc-804 - It's difficult to confidently suggest a solution for you without seeing your data and workflow. However, I'd like to ask if you want to try reading your data with Option 6 switched off? This will allow you to get rid of the Select tool and set a Filter tool to [Field_1] instead:

ArtApa_0-1661743004864.png

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hi @ArtApa,

Thank you for your response. I should correct - the input file is in Excel file format, not in csv. No, option 6 was not on. Attached are that part of the workflow and the input file with made-up data. Everything including field A1 in input file changed each time a different file is received. The row with "ALL" is not starting in the same row on each of different files. It does not read in as [Field_1] but as the content in field A1 and why I used a Select tool to rename it. The workflow works in Designer, but not in Gallery and it's where I need help with. Thanks.

Labels