Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to use cross tab to transform data

wuaw
7 - Meteor

Hi team,

I have this set of data below:

wuaw_7-1616652184064.png

The desired format is this:

wuaw_2-1616651907821.png

I have using transpose and formula tool to try to manipulate the data. I think the next step is to use cross-tab, but I am not able to get the desired output format. Please suggest anything if you can think of a smarter solution than my current workflow. Thanks!

Screenshot of transpose tool:

wuaw_3-1616652015027.png

wuaw_4-1616652029443.png

Screenshot of formula tool:

wuaw_5-1616652046191.png

wuaw_6-1616652058049.png

2 REPLIES 2
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@wuaw 
I hope this works for you.

Capture4A.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @wuaw 

Here you go

danilang_0-1616674137835.png

Once your data is transposed, use a Regex Parse tool to separate the column header from the type.  You can also use a Formula tool with substring/findstring combinations instead of the regex.  After this you can use a Cross Tab.  This changes the output column order and replaces spaces in column names with underscores as shown in the top container.

To keep the underscores and column order add a Multirow tool to build the unique column numbers.  Cross Tab with the column numbers as headers, since the new columns get placed in numerical order.  Use a Dynamic Rename to change the numbered columns to the original column names.  the bottom Summarize build a list of unique column names and numbers that the Dynamic Rename uses to perform the substitution.

Dan

Labels