Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to use DCM with the new Salesforce Input tool?

afellows
8 - Asteroid

The previous tool had a username/password/token authentication but it now has DCM. However, I have no idea how to set this up, if I try to set up a Salesforce connection in the DCM window then it takes me to Windows OBDC connections where I have no idea what I am supposed to choose - all the options I've tried ask for a server address but I've never needed this previously so I don't know what I am supposed to use here. 

6 REPLIES 6
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You create a DSN within Windows ODBC Data Sources. Add a new User DSN, or check with your company to see if there is a system DSN already created. From there you select the driver you use to connect to the Salesforce database, enter your username/pw and save the DSN. Once you can successfully connect to it within the ODBC Data Sources, open up Alteryx and create the DCM connection with the DSN you created in the ODBC Data sources. 

This article walks through most of it.

https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/salesforce-odbc-driver-setup

afellows
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, that's useful to know. 

Am I really expected to buy Simba Salesforce Driver for $200 just so I can do the same thing that I've been doing for several years for free? In the previous version of the tool it was possible to use DCM but with username/password/token and no server etc or OBDC was necessary, is this not the case now? 

NeoInfiniTech
9 - Comet

Hello @afellows, the Simba Salesforce ODBC Driver seems to be available on the products download page under the Drivers section.

afellows
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @NeoInfiniTech, I completely missed that in the previously linked instructions. 

So I have it working with the input tool but the Salesforce Input tool doesn't seem to see the DCM connection I have just made. If I set up another one through the tool everything seems ok and I can select a table to query but it fails when trying to run it with an error code 400. Guess I'll reach out to support. 

Are people just using the Input Data tool rather than the Salesforce Input tool? 

basubb
6 - Meteoroid

Has this worked for you? Every time I select "Save security token", the OK button gets disabled. Also, not sure how the ODBC would connect to my company's specific Salesforce instance which is actually <companyname>.lightning.force.com

Thanks

Basu

afellows
8 - Asteroid

I did manage to make it work but it took a lot of messing around and cannot see what I did now to get it working I'm afraid. Unfortunately, there is still a bug in the tool which I reported 6 months ago and was told was fixed in this version so I cannot use it and  I have gone back to v2023 of designer and the previous (non-DCM) version of the SF tool. 

Labels