Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to show % but remain as number that being able to use for calculation?

Amy_Yen-Ching
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am a new user of Alteryx (only 2 week-old!)

I checked the solution of showing % sign, but the answers are just using the String.  Meaning, il will become just a Text, not number.

However, in my output Excel file, I need the % remains as a number, so that users can use the colomn to do calculation.

Does anyone know the good solution?

Thanks for your help!

Amy

6 REPLIES 6
Nanoq
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunatley, alteryx doesnt play well with units in the same field as the value. if it was me, i would take the percentage value as a comma value (so 25% is written as 0.25). those numbers would act the same as you are used to in excel. Once you have it in excel you can change the formatting if you realy want to, but its only cosmetic 

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

One option might be a table tool.  You can set a % suffix on a field, and Excel still interprets the output as a number for calculations.

Christina_Hurrell_1-1633000044342.png

Christina_Hurrell_0-1633000018163.png

Christina_Hurrell_2-1633000084772.png

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Amy_Yen-Ching 

It seems like more of an issue with "formatting" in excel and keep things in Excel as numeric values.

One way to is to write the output to Excel in "double" / "floating" format and preserve the format, as follow:

You can now Preserve Formatting on Overwrite when overwriting a sheet or range via the Output Data tool Options. In order to preserve formatting, you have to:

• Select Overwrite Sheet or Range via Output Options.
  • Specify cell ranges in the output file path.

Hope this works for you

Dawn.

Amy_Yen-Ching
5 - Atom

thank you @Christina_Hurrell.  I tried it and it works, but it put % directly without firstly multiple the result by 100. 
result: 0.62, meaning 62%, with this method, it puts % directly after 0.62, which is 0.62%, instead of 62%.

One solution is to go back to my original calculation and change the formula to *100, however, I prefer to keep the "correct" calculation.

Do you know a better solution?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Christina_H 

That's an amazing method I was not aware about it. Thank you for sharing and this learning opportunity 🙂

Amy_Yen-Ching
5 - Atom

Thank you @DawnDuong, I shall try it when I know more about Alteryx.

Labels