Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to run the Alteryx workflow only if count of records is greater than 0

Ankita_ankita
5 - Atom

I have an Alteryx workflow which should run only if count of records is greater than 0. If there are no records then the workflow shouldn't run.

The workflow is like below :

sample workflow.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
DanielG
12 - Quasar

@Ankita_ankita -- i like to use the Test Tool and set it up to fail the workflow if no records come through.  see attached example

Deano478
11 - Bolide

hey @Ankita_ankita  you can try something like this using the message tool

Ankita_ankita
5 - Atom

Hi Daniel,

This doesn't work in my case. The test sheet still got overwritten. See workflow below :

Output.PNG

Towers
11 - Bolide

Hi @Ankita_ankita,

If you click on the canvas and go to runtime settings and activate the "Cancel Running Workflow On Error" box it should stop the file from outputting.

WorkflowError.jpg

You can see here that without the option ticked the records are written out:

Towers_0-1685714701466.png

But with the option ticked nothing is written out:

Towers_1-1685714718859.png

Your current configuration should work as long as you turn this setting on.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Ankita_ankita 

@DanielG's example will work(most of the time) but you need to have your workflow config set to Cancel running Workflow on Error, which was missing from TestExample.yxmd 

danilang_0-1685715475365.png

A more generic way, or one to use when you want the workflow to complete even if some of the outputs are empty, is use a formula tool to create a path and use this path in the Output Tool

danilang_1-1685715774776.png

danilang_2-1685715823358.png

Since there are no records going into the Output tool, there is no FilePath field for it to use.  The end result is the target file does not get changed.

Dan 

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@danilang - darn it.  I am better than that.  I forgot the most important aspect of it.  Thanks for catching it.  haha.  Have a great day

Labels