Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to overwrite output in input file and output gets generated in other folder

Akansha029
7 - Meteor

Hello Community...

Please help asap

I have a workflow and I want to overwrite the input file for the output and that overwritten file i want to save in another new created folder so that the input remains the same. So can someone help in automating the process 

1. create a folder if its not there

2 copy the input file in new created folder

3 overwrite the output over copied input file in new created folder

Hoping for the quick response

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Akansha029 

Thank you for your contribution to the Community!

To help make it easier for others to assist, it would be helpful to get some additional information on your process. Here's what we recommend you include in your reply:

• Do you have a Workflow with sample data you can share?
  • Where are you stuck with the above process?
    • Can you explain the problem in detail?
  • Have you encountered any error messages?

Here are a few articles for you to consider for assistance.
SOLVED Output file use as input?
SOLVED Output a file and then use that output as an input in the same workflow

Also, check out this guide for Posting for the Fastest Possible Solution!

Thank you very much!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
Akansha029
7 - Meteor

Hi @TrevorS 

I am stuck at the point and still stuck from past one month...it might sound dumb may be.....

I have data for different countries for example India , Spain , China etc......which contains two excel files A and B each for that specific country. A has 5 sheets in that had to do some modifications on 2 sheets and 3 sheets should remains same. So i did all modifications on those 2 sheets of A and as the output ,I am supposed to get A file with 2 updated tab and 3 remains the same.....So I copied the original A at some other folder and overwritten it so that i can get my desired output....now the problem is i want to automate this process of creating the folder if it does not exist  for every country's output and want to copy my input A file in that new generated folder and then that copied A file will be used as output so that I can overwrite it to get the desired output and input also remains the same.

Thanks

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Akansha029 
If you are only making changes to specific sheets, you can set your output to override a specific sheet rather than the full file.
This way if you are making changes to Sheet 1 and Sheet 2, but leaving Sheets 3-5 alone, you are only changing the necessary sheets.

This tool mastery shows you how you can use the overwrite sheet option!

Community Moderator
Akansha029
7 - Meteor

Hi @TrevorS 

That's only I am doing....but how to do the remaining part...which i mentioned like creating a folder then copying the input file in that folder and then overwriting on it...so that input remains same and output will be saved in that file

Labels