Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to limit the number of fields from an xlsx Input File

pmaddox015
6 - Meteoroid

I am pulling history files where the excel template they used went all the way out to column XEU (over 16K columns). I am able to use dynamic select after the input but is there any way to limit at the point of input? it is slowing my workflow down to the point of freezing up. 

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@pmaddox015 I dont think there is an option in the input tool to limit the number of fields, but yes you can limit using the dynamic select tool

pmaddox015
6 - Meteoroid

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I'm trying to figure out if i can use code prior to input. this is freezing up my Alteryx. i almost can't use it. and i don't have the option of 'fixing' the files. Thanks for confirming!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @pmaddox015 

To help in your development work, use a pre-processing workflow that reads the xlsx file and extracts the columns that you need saving the results to a .yxdb.  Use the yxdb file as input while your developing the rest of workflow.  Any time you need to refresh the ,yxdb file, just run the pre-processing workflow again 

Dan

pmaddox015
6 - Meteoroid

I ended up using a macro to process the files and a dynamic select to pull only the first fields. Then I put all of the data into an Alteryx Database output.  Screenshot 2024-07-10 154920.png

Labels