Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to insert text after a variable outline # and before text?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Trying to parse an outlined document.

The bulk of my rows include [Orig] between the outline and the text I want to parse.  I can parse this with a Regex Tool using (\d.+) (\[Orig\] .+) (thanks to the Community).  This is NOT my question.

• 042-1 [Orig] General

My problem is outlined below.  Pun totally intended. 

There are a few "reject" rows that lack the [Orig].     

• 233-4 Inversion Requirement
  • 626-2.1.1 Seating Characteristics Blah Blah

How can I insert a "[Add]" to match the standard configuration and enable it to be parsed with a similar Regex Tool (\d.+) (\[Add\] .+)????

The outline is 1-N.  So, its not just a matter of inserting it X positions from the left. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I might think about this differently. Rather than specifically calling out "Orig" in the regex pattern, I would ask about the spacing. 

Are the outline values always consecutive characters with no spacing? If so, then your delimiter isn't the [Orig], it's the space between them.

Your regex string could be ^.+\s.+ 

Then you wouldn't need the configuration for the [Orig]

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@neilgallen

So, I tried with marked groups.  I want the outline in Col 1 and the Text that either begins or does not begin with [Orig] in Col 2.

( ^.+)\s(.+) 

No joy.  It did not throw an error, just [Null]s.

I also tried a variation of the expression I am currently using (.+) (\[Orig\] .+), without the "Orig" reference.  

(.+) \s (.+)

No joy, more [Null]s.

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

apologies, as sometimes regex is difficult to do off the top of my head without a few testing runs.

([^\s]+)\s(.*$) 

should work. This would parse the full outline to begin the string, and everything AFTER the first space, regardless of the presence of [Orig]

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@neilgallen

([^\s]+)\s(.*$) 

Sorry, still no joy.  All [Nulls] and I tried a few mods. 

Here is real data.

075-1.9 [Orig] All stainless steel fasteners including bolts, threaded nuts, holes and inserts shall be lubricated with a thin coat of anti-seize lubricant, Tef-Gel or equal, prior to assembly.
043-10.1.1 Dimensions given in inches and fractions: blah blah.  More blah blah blah. 
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

see attached. parsing using all non-whitespace seems to get you there.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

It works.  But, what is the significance "\S" vs. "\s"?

I can decipher...

^ start at the beginning of line

\S ???

+ one or more

\s space - (the space between the outline # and what follows)

. any single character (this the start of the text)

*zero or more (characters)

$ until the end

neilgallen
12 - Quasar
\S is non-white space. Essentially the difference of \s
Labels