Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to calculate percentage of whole with string data

mattanderson
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have column of data containing results that are either pass, fail, or timeout. I want to show these as a percentage of the total records so one can see what percent are pass or fail or timeout. How may I go about doing this? I have tried to create a new calculated field in the data using the formula tool but can not seem to get a formula without an error. 

I am new to Alteryx and still trying to get a feel for the software any help is very appreciated!

Best,

Matt

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mattanderson The frequency Table tool would do the trick if you have the predictive analytics installed. If you don't have it installed, then you should install it! http://downloads.alteryx.com/predictive.html

EDIT: For what it's worth, the frequency table tool is pretty easy to modify if you just needed the percentage. I'm attaching my modified version. It amounts to a transpose, a couple summarizes, join the data together, and then run your formula. The normal frequency table tool requires R (and the predictive analytics install) to make a nice histogram.

Let me know if you have any questions!

gc
9 - Comet

Or if you want something sooner than later, use the Summarize tool to Group By and then Count on your field of interest. You can then add a Total with the Formula tool, as well as do the division for the Count of each value by Total.

But the "right" answer is what @Patrick_Digan said. Mine is the lazy but maybe good enough option :)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @mattanderson

Firstly - welcome to the community - and congratulations on your first post!

As @gc and @patrick_digan mentioned, you can do this with the predictive tools very easily.

But if you need to just whip this together - here's a flow that works.   Take your data, count all records, and in parallel count records by category, then you can use a formula to calculate percentages.

Screenshots and sample workflow attached.

Have a good weekend

Sean

2017-05-21_21-02-27.png

2017-05-21_21-03-00.png

2017-05-21_21-03-21.png

Labels