Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to Open, Save, Close an Excel file

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to connect an Excel file (this file is downloaded from a website using another workflow) to input tool but it is not reading the sheet name. Refer to image 1.

But, when I Open, Save and Close the Excel file and connect to input tool, I am able to get the sheet name. Refer to image 2. This is after the excel file was just opened, save (CTRL+S) and Closed.

I need help to figure a way to Open, Save and Close the excel file using a workflow may be using a Run command or something.

Any help in the form of a workflow would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Raghu

14 REPLIES 14
wwatson
12 - Quasar

Is the file you download from the website saved in CSV format or xlsx?

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

@wwatson 

it is in Xlsx format

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I've not seen a case where Alteryx couldn't open an xlsx file and prompt you for the sheet name.

IYou say you created the xlsx file with a workflow. Could you show the configuration of the output tool from the workflow that creates the xlsx file?

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

attached is the workflow that is downloading the file from a website. I am using download tool. 

Regards,
Raghu

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I ran the workflow to download the file to the desktop. When I use an input tool in a fresh workflow I get prompted to choose the sheet. So it looks ok to me.

wwatson_0-1594817934188.png

wwatson
12 - Quasar

There is something wrong with the sheetname in the xlsx file it downloads:

wwatson_0-1594823406060.png

taxguy33
8 - Asteroid

Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue? Still encountering this issue as it seems many others are on many other threads.

I have many Excel files (.xlsx) that have a Sheet1 but I can't get an Input Tool to recognize the sheet name as valid without opening up the Excel and saving them.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

@taxguy33 - see link below.  I am having a similar issue and according to leofrancia at Alteryx, it is because the excel file has a prefix x: in all the tags in the Shared String XML embedded in Excel.  Might be the same issue you are having.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/how-to-resolve-this-issue-The-...

taxguy33
8 - Asteroid

@bertal34 This is the exact issue I am facing - even to the point where I'm talking about spreadsheets created by an RPA tool (UiPath) that causes this corruption. If you are able to figure out a way to avoid this, please share. I'm at a loss for how to proceed based on the example / links Alteryx personnel provided to you.

Labels