Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How can I know if my sample is representative?

iocana
Météore

Hi all

I am getting into the sampling topic. When we get a sample by using any of the available tools, we need to know if the sample we have created is representative or not for audit purposes.

I have done some research but I cannot find any solution for checking this. Is there any solution available that could tell me if my sample is representative?

I also found a Chi Square test but it does not seem correct to me as, for example, when I select 1% of my data, the result is that the hypothesis is true, therefore my sample is representative....and this seems wrong to me 

Many thanks in advanced!

1 RÉPONSE 1
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The random sample tool should do it.  If someone says "how do you know it's representative"?  Then pick a couple metrics to focus on, and check the distribution between the population set and the random sample set.  They should be pretty close.  That's what I've done anyway - it's basically just proving that the random sample tool is truly random.  

Étiquettes