Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How Calculate optimal warehouse locations

Thorntonb
6 - Meteoroid

I have a set of data that contains the lat,lng/ address of all my customers as well as the amount of product they have purchased within the last year. I would like to run that data through an Alteryx workflow and calculate what the optimal locations are for a specific number of warehouses. For example, I would like to be able to enter 12 and get 12 optimized warehouse locations. The other factor I would like to take into account is the purchase amount for each customer. So rather than using straight-line distace, I would like to use a weighted distance which is the distance from a customer to the potential warehouse multiplied by that customers purchased goods. Is there any way to do something like this within Alteryx? I have been trying for many hours but can not seem to get anything to work.

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Thorntonb 

Any time you're asking for help on a complex question like this it's always best to attach some sample data.  

Just off the top of my head though, you should look into the Optimization tool. 

Dan 

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thorntonb 

I'm with @danilang on the Optimization. Specifically. you could try the location Optimization macro to help solve your problem.

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.1/index.htm#LocationOptimizationAllocate.htm

Let me know if this helps

Cheers!

Esther

Thorntonb
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, @estherb47 that macro is exactly what I was looking for! much appreciate the help. i will be sure to include a data file next time 

Labels