Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Have a separate output file for every new value in a specific column

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

Dear all,

I try to find an easy solution to have a separate output file for every unique value within a column.

Example:

Bert500A
Frans2B
Frans9C
Kris1D
Bert20E

Having as output then 3 output files, one with the rows of Bert, one with the rows of Frans and ne with the rows of Kris

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Nicolaas_Vercruyse 

The bottom portion of the output tool gives you the ability to do this. The configuration of the tool will depend on what kind of file you are trying to get (csv, excel, etc). 

I'd suggest you check out this training: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Writing-Data/ta-p/74561

Luke_C_0-1648653247977.png

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

Thanks Luke, I will check it.

But is there also a way to have it within the workflow already (without the output data file)?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Nicolaas_Vercruyse 

Why do you want to split them within the workflow?  You can use group by functions within various tools to ensure that the items are treated as groups.

Can you give us a specific example, preferably with a sample workflow?

Dan 

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

Well actually I need to create for each customer (in column A) a PDF document with a header and footer and some other hardcoded info and also with a table with data feeded from the other columns.

Today I have created a excel template with header and footer and the idea was to post the data from alteryx into the exceltemplate which I would then convert to pdf (manually)...

Probably there is a possibility to have the PDF building also in alteryx but I have no idea how to start with that.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Nicolaas_Vercruyse 

Check out the reporting lessons. You can definitely have alteryx generate a separate PDF for each customer.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Reporting%...

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

Looking at the problem of a separate PDF for each customer, you'll probably need to use a macro to separate the data, add headers, footers, etc and then render the PDF.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@soccertil1108 - the reporting tools allow for grouping, you shouldn't need a macro to accomplish this. 

Labels