Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Google Drive Connector takes significantly longer to import data

MotorolaMatt
6 - Meteoroid

We are using Google Drive Connectors (v1.1.1) and I noticed the importing alone takes about a full minute.

Previously, when using the Google Sheets Connector, the sheets would be imported in less than 5-10 seconds.

Has anybody else experienced this? Has anybody not? Interested to hear any input.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
ASIMALIRiotgames
5 - Atom

yes, I see it keeps running forever to write to a google sheet output file and also takes forever to pull the data from google sheets too, haven't seen a solution yet

nickdreach
8 - Asteroid

Yes, we are seeing similar.  In fact I've a good example, we had a workflow referencing a google sheet using the deprecated Google Sheet  Input tool.  It took one minute or less to complete, consistently over the last three months.

The same workflow, with the Google Drive Input tool just took 11 minutes to complete.  It was successful, but my reward for moving to the supported tool is a bonus 10 minute wait.  That is the worst I have seen, but it has been consistent across a number of workflows that we have reworked.  I wonder if the fact the workflows are all non-AMP and AMP must be turned on before the Google Drive Input tool can be used is part of the problem,

nickdreach
8 - Asteroid

Just to add to this, in the above 11 minute example this was a workflow with 3 macros.  I experimented with setting each macro (and the workflow) to have the 'Engine compatibility mode' option checked.  It made no difference at all the the execution time.

nickdreach
8 - Asteroid

Some findings.  I was reading a single worksheet from a google sheet that contained 76 worksheets. 

This took 2s with the deprecated tool, 20s with the google drive tool. 

If I removed the 75 worksheets I wasn't interested in, and also removed freeze panes, collapsed rows and red/green data formatting from the single worksheet of interest then the deprecated tool took perhaps 1s but the google drive tool would now take 13s.

So, it is an improvement albeit still not great compared to the deprecated tool.  I appreciate it isn't always possible to chuck away those bits of a spreadsheet you are not interested in - but thought I would mention this anyway.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'd expect the Gdrive tool uses two apis (gdrive api and gsheets api) whereas the gsheets tool just used the gsheets api. The extra python package would point to a delayed start for the gdrive tool. 

nickdreach
8 - Asteroid

Hi, that sounds like sense.  Perhaps someone from Alteryx can confirm...unlikely to ever achieve execution time parity if it is the case.

Labels