Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fuzzy Match

mmustkee
9 - Comet

Hi Team,

I have table in which we have a list of names and there are some names which are the same but they typed differently. For Example, we have punctuation missing or added, MR. MRS or Dr added or missing and we have last name in place of first name. 

I want match score and also one common name in result box and please make original list of the names as it is no change..

4 REPLIES 4
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @mmustkee,

Can you provide the Input file for this? A not working output files is realy helpful.

Also what does a "common name in the result box" mean? Is needs to be a random pick or have some sort of logic behind it.

mmustkee
9 - Comet

Hi Frederik,

The full list below in case you are unable to open sample sheet.

NameResultMatch Score
Saif /NameSaif /Name100
Name/SaifSaif /Name96
Name/Saif MRSaif /Name95
MR Name/SaiFSaif /Name95
Kara/Tim  
Kara,Tim  
Dim/Tore Show  
DimTore/ Show  
Dim/Show tore  
ERS/COL  
RERS/COL  
ERS/COL,  
NDLER/JERRY L  
NDLER/L JERRY  
NDLER/JERRY  
NDLER/L, JERRY  
NDLER/JERRY,  
NDLER/L JERRY ANDREW  
HUG/XUEN  
XUEN/HUG  
XUEN,HUG  
XUEN,HUG MS  
XUEN,HUG DR  

Apologies for delay. I have attached the file again. 

I meant to common name as take any from the matching names and show them IN front of the original name. 

For example below we have saif name coming 4 times by different ways. You can show any name (Saif/Name or Name/Saif or Name/saif MR out of 4 as result IN front of what we have in column A we have. Please do not delete original list and show result in another column and match score.

Name
Saif /Name
Name/Saif
Name/Saif MR

MR Name/SaiF

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @mmustkee,

So I have tryed to get this to work, this is annoingly complicated. 

The approach is to gather the "base names" via a macro that checks if these Strings have already been machted via Fuzzy in a field before. If no, they are not kept as base names. For your Dataset it keeps 8 Base Names, while it should be only 6. 

E.g. (Join 26)

FrederikE_1-1684241400196.png

It for sure can be improved a lot (I have not configured the Fuzzy matching at all and I am not to certain about the macro (there may be some probs)), but it should be a good starting point for you.

FrederikE_0-1684241220444.png

mmustkee
9 - Comet

@FrederikE 

I must say that you have really put lot of effort on this. This was the fifth time I raised this issue and never got satisfactory result. But you have really done that. 

Thanks a ton for all your smart work.

Labels