Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find the nearest vs distance tool comparing same set of address different output?

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I ran into a bit of an issue when using that find nearest tool and would like someone help explain if possible.

I have 3 sets of addresses below:

Personal 

Current Work

Proposed Work

I used distance tool to get commute time from personal to current and used find nearest to find 2 possible proposed work. Setting for both distance tool and find nearest are both the same ( drive time 180min, TomTom US Peak - Most Recent)

Here's what's strange: when output current work = proposed work the distance/time are off slightly some margin range 0-5mins or 0-6 miles.

any idea why that's happening? My only guess is distance tool ran before the find nearest tool and the situation changed with regard to the road?

Thanks,

BosKev

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I believe the difference is because you're using drivetime. Drivetime takes traffic patterns into consideration, so a certain location 5 miles away might take 15 minutes to drive to, while another might take 25 minutes. 

Take a look at this article for more information on drivetime:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Location-Data-Knowledge-Base/Data-Products-101-Drivetimes/ta-p/4310...

BosKev
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!

Labels