Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find and replace not workings

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

I have done the below formula but the value I want to appear is not appearing, instead the cells it should be in are blank, what are the possible reasons?

WL1_0-1598125767611.png

13 REPLIES 13
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14,

By any chance, you can share with us some example of the data? 

Actually I found something that might help you. There is a possibility you have a null or blank data in the file that you are using for the replacing.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Why-will-the-Find-and-Replace-not-work...

It will be worth to take a look at the file that you are using for the replace input if this file doesn't have null/blanks.

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @BillyL14 — Is it a part of your recent post? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Find-and-replace/td-p/623322?lightbox-...

1st, You need to change the data type to String for the respective incoming anchor(s), you can use Formula or Select tool.

Once you get the output from "Find Replace" then rollback the data type using Formula tool (if you want).

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @BillyL14 ,

The first thing I can see is the case insensitive check box. check it. it will ignore characters case.

Hope it makes sense.

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi @vizAlter 

Thanks, I'm not sure what you mean by rollback?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14,

I think he @vizAlter wanted you change the data type to string as it is required for the find and replace tool.

After you will use the find the replace tool you can rollback to the previous data type using select or formula tool.

@BillyL14 Find and replace started working for you? 

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Emil_Kos 

Thanks for your help.

I haven't got it to work yet. To be honest I am not sure if I am using the right tool as am not very experienced at Alteryx yet.

I have attached a sample of what I am trying to do. Basically I want the material number in sample 1 to match with the material in sample 2. Then I want the ratio from sample 2 to appear next to the relevant material after joining so that I can then go onto multiply the masses of the relevant materials by the ratio that has been matched.  Do you have any advise on how to do that?

Thank you very much

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14,

You didn't include any data in the workflow.

You can copy-paste the portion of the data directly into the workflow in order to provide us with a data sample.

It will be pasted as the text input tool.

I think the find and replace tool is a good one for you. Alternatively, you can use the join tool. In the configuration of the join, tool pick the two fields that you are interested in and it should work.

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos 

sorry, these are the inputs

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14 ,

It should work now 🙂 

Labels